How many # of potatoes are needed to serve roasted potatoes for 150?
Hi, if you are planning to serve roasted potatoes for a wedding reception for 150 guests, you will need approximately 60 pounds of potatoes.
If you expect more people, let’s say around 200, then you could cook around 80 pounds of potatoes.
When roasting potatoes, you will want them to be crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside.
Sometimes when roasting potatoes, it is possible that they become crispy on the outside, but inside there are times when they may end up having a dry texture.
To avoid that dry texture and to achieve great roasted potatoes, there are some tips you should follow to get potatoes completely done and with great flavor.
Tips for roasting potatoes for about 150 guests:
1. Rinse potatoes and remove any dark or green spots.
2. There are two ways to pre-cook potatoes before roasting them.
The fastest method is using the microwave oven.
The other method is called parboiling.
If you try the microwave oven method, all you have to do is to cook potatoes for about one (1) minute, then turn them over and cook again for another minute. Don’t overcook them.
The idea is to cook potatoes just slightly, so that as soon as you roast them, they can cook evenly inside and out.
If you decide to parboil them, just boil potatoes in a large pot for about seven (7) minutes.
Remember that water should cover the potatoes completely. Parboiling potatoes is a very popular cooking method, so if you have time, you can choose to parboil them.
On the other hand, if you are in a rush, then the microwave method will give you better results.
3. Before roasting, rub potatoes with extra virgin olive oil or any other oil you like, (you can use butter) and remember, don’t cover the potatoes while cooking.
4. Season potatoes with a little bit of salt (that’s optional, you can use sea salt, too) and your favorite herbs. Rosemary, parsley, or some garlic salt are good alternatives.
5. For roasted potatoes, you can use the Desiree type (red skinned), which is great for roasting, or you can use the Russet Burbank, which is one of the most popular varieties.
Baby red potatoes are a good choice, too.
Sixty (60) pounds of potatoes will be enough to serve about 150 people and maybe a couple of extra guests.